Re: Questions on AP and stakes

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 14:53:22 -0700

> 1/ Does we have to take into account the modifiers to the target number
> before calculating the starting AP in a contest, or does that only apply
> followers ? (ie Hero only start with their full target number AP,
> notwithstanding any modifier ?)

If there are modifications to the target number *before* the contest starts, such as an Improv. Mod. to the ability, then they are applied to the Startng AP. Once the contest starts, Ability penalties/boni *do not* affect AP directly. See Starting Action Points, page 129. The formula is Target Number + 20/mastery + modifiers.

Example: Bob Sartarite starts the fight using a Great Axe (because he was caught off guard and grabbed the first thing he could). The Narrator gives him a -5 Improv Mod to his Close Combat (normally 17, now 12). His Starting AP is 12, not 17. If, instead, Bob had started with Spear & Shield (a Heortling keyword ability), he would have his normal 17 ability and AP. If his spear breaks and he picks up a great axe from a dead body, his Ability Rating is affected by an Improv Mod, but his current AP are unaffected.

> 2/ Hoe does the Narrator determine the stake each round in extended
contest
> for natural obstacle, suc as strong current, cliff, ...

By guess and by golly. You need to have a feel for how difficult you want to make the contest (starting resistance), and how long you want it to go on (bids), upping the bid with appropriate descriptions ("you need to get up and around this overhang, 10AP bid", "this slope is a piece of cake, 3 AP bid"). Or you can just use a formulae like 1/2 AP-1, or 1/5th AP, etc.

> 3/ Can a hero get more AP than its starting level by way of transfer or
> lending, or is it limited anyway to its starting target number ? And in
> group extended contest, what is that limit : the hero own starting AP's or
> the pool starting APs ?

A Hero can be loaned any number of AP. There is no upper limit on how many AP a hero can have at any time. A hero with a 12 Ability can be loaned 100 AP by followers/a community.

What "pool" are you talking about? The reason I ask is that there are no AP pools in extended contest, so I want to be sure you've got the basic grounding...

> 4/ I didn't had a chance to run a combat, but the trading wounds system
> allowing 7AP into a wound does not appear very effective for the winner,
as
> even if it is cumulative, it is only about a 5% advantage/disadvantage
each
> time. Not enough to change the course of the battle IMO. Do I miss
something

AP loss only lasts until the end of the contest. If the defeated guy could start another contest immediately, he would have his full starting AP. A wound lasts until healed, and will affect Starting AP if the hero starts another contest.

Remember that "wounds" are not just physical injury, they can also be used in other, nonphysical, contests.

RR