Re: Implicit and explicit factors in Extended Contests

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 23:19:51 +0000

>wrote:
>
>> Yet when I suggested that achieving a high AP bid by insisting that
>> sequence of actions be combined into a single roll - *instead* of
>> choosing a "daring and risky manouevre" - should not *always* be
>> allowed you replied
>>
>> "I think that clearly a high-bidding player wants their character to
>> attempt a daring and risky manoeuver is a big concern, especially if
>> they're not being allowed to do so."
>
>Note that I am not explicitly disagreeing with you. I am merely
>voicing concern. Your interpretation of that as an attack, and as not
>taking your possition into acount is gobsmacking.

You don't find anything odd in suggesting that someone who is NOT attempting to have his character perform a "daring and risky manoeuvre" clearly WANTS to have his character perform a "daring and risky manoeuvre" ?

>> >Why does it have to?
>>
>> Well given the context - your insistence that your "original point
>> still stands" when it was never even contested - I think that
>there
>> is a pretty clear implication that I disagreed with it.
>
>Of course it satands, because it hasn't been contested.

It was just the way you put it. I mean it wasn't exactly phrased as an admission that nobody had even suggested such a thing.

> If it was
>still in contention it wouldn't stand, would it? I said I didn't
>think there was much more to say, because I thought we were coming to
>general agreement. Apparently we were. Yet we're still arguing. My
>head hurts.

Apparently there was no disagreement in the first place.

>> Well when I see an argumentative one - especially one that seems to
>> claim some sort of victory - I have to say that I do not take it
>as
>> indicating agreement. Rather it seems to be indicating that the
>> other party opposed the point but failed to make a case.
>
>Bearing in minds that I actualy spent much of this discussion
>agreeing with you, I realy don't know what to say about this.

Well I don't think that trying to suggest that I would assume timing problems for no reason is a sign of agreement. I think of it as at least verging on a personal attack. And when I reflect that statement back, I get sworn at - for nothing worse than you'd already done. Needless to say I don't take kindly to that sort of behaviour.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.