Re: Giving Up

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:59:19 -0000

I agree generaly with everything you wrote. These are two very different situations.

In one case the character is changing goals, but does not want the opponent to achieve it's goials. This is the case when you are fighting a broo and want to withdraw from the combat, you are giving up your orriginal goal of kiling the broo and have changed that to getting away, but the broo still wants to kill you (or worse) and you're not happy to allow it to. In this situation, I can't imagine ever allowing a new contest.

The other situation is where the character is willing to allow the opponent to achieve it's goals, perhaps to limit the extent of the opponent's victory, or simply to pursue a different contest with different goals on each side (such as nutting the lawspeaker, but thereby forfeiting the legal contest). In this kinds of situation I might allow a new contest in some cases, although I would prefer to find a way to maintain continuity.

Simon Hibbs