Re: A REVIEW I SHALL NOT SUBMIT

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 00:23:58 +0100

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0005201237130.1536-100000_at_...> , Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_...> writes
>To me it seems like you first criticise the 'heroic/cinematic' aspects of
>HW (dodging bullets), while later yout don't get enough heroism: people
>being able to shrug of shock and pain to continue fighting. Surely, in the
>same way that those who try to dodge automatic fire will get hurt, people
>who are hit with swords/axes/spears should go down?

My answer to this is: Roger Young of the Ohio Buckeyes. Who crawled forward and took out the Japanese machine gun nest at the cost of his own life after being seriously wounded twice. People do remarkable things in stressful situations. What I hate is a system where there is so much 'player-character protection' that you never get the chance for that sort of sacrifice.

And in 'straight' Hero Wars the system means you are never at the stage of knowing that you're in deep trouble on a personal level.

--
Michael Cule