Re: Re: Is 20 Superfluous?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:59:01 -0800

> > Is it my imagination, or are skills of 19 and 20 EXACTLY the same?
> > Similarly 19W and 20W, 19W2 and 20W2, etc, etc.
> >
> Target numbers of 19 and 20 are exactly the same, abilities of 19 and
> 20 are not.
>
> Unlike many games, most rolls in HQ will have a modifier to them.
> You augment whenever you can, you have equipment, there are all sorts
> of situational modifiers, and so on.
>
> Still, the game effects of jumping from 19 to 1W wouldn't be too
> huge, I think. So if you wanted to make a house rule that when you
> improve an ability by one point when it is at 19 already, it goes to
> 1W instead of 20, I doubt you break anything.

There's no need to do so. As you noted, there is a vast difference between Skills and Target Numbers. I have yet to see anyone, after the first time they are told "You can augment" *not* bother to augment to squeeze in another point or two. So that Skill of 19 or 20 is rarely used at 19 or 20.

The game effects of gaining two skill points for 1 AP accumulate as your hero passes from 19-1w, then 19w-1w2, then 19w2-1w3... I'd advise against it.

RR
- Richelieu