Re: Extended Contests

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:59:30 -0500

bigblackcatmail writes:

>Thanks a bunch, Kevin. I see what you're talking about now. I didn't know that HeroQuest could be run that way. I was under the impression that conflicts were resolved either as a "one-roll-and-out" Simple Contest or a "bid-APs-until-done" Extended Contest. I can see how using the Simple Contests in succession could be helpful in the situation that you described. Did you plan to run the encounter as a series of Simple Contests or did it just happen?

I had a vague plan to avoid the extended contest for as long as I could reasonably get away with. I almost switched to an extended contest once, when a Sky-Cow practitioner used Flying Leap to get at one of the heroes. Since she failed her "grab and hold on" attack, I ruled that she fell back down into the river and that was that. These were not the major villains of the adventure, so they were relatively easy to take out.

~Kevin McD