RE: opinions on how much affinities and feats are limited to each other?

From: Nicolas Hughes <nicolas.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:03:32 -0000

>Sorry if the subject line is a little unclear, hopefully examples
>will clarify what I'm asking.

>Ex 1: Rigsdal gives a combat affinity. It has specific feats for
>ranged combat, for being alert, for staying at your post, and so on,
>but none of them are particularly applicable to close combat. So, if
>a Rigsdal initiate is taking part in an ambush of some praxians, in
>mid-day (a combat in which none of the feats in that affinity would
>apply). Can the initiate augment with the affinity? I doubt many
>would say "no," but perhaps "yes, but with an improvisation penalty,
>since this isn't Rigsdal's sort of fight." Or of course "The
>affinity is called combat, you are in a combat, of course it is
>applicable!" (in this last case, could a devotee augment with his
>affinity when he didn't have an applicable feat?)

Rigsdal is a warrior deity who is good at combat, an initiate can call on this to augment their own ability in combat. There are no widely known relevant myths or heroquests for this situation - hence no feats that would apply - but the underlying "is good at combat" still applies.

>Ex 2: Vingkot, in the thunderous aspect of Orlanth, has the "fight
>Dara Happans" affinity (along with storm and wind, so he gives no
>general combat affinity). A devotee of his is involved in the same
>fight against the Praxians (clearly not Dara Happans, nor even
>vaguely similar). He knows the "blunt spear" feat from the "fight
>Dara Happans" affinity, and wants to use it against one of the
>praxians' spear. Blunt Spear looks like an appropriate feat to use
>here, but fight Dara Happans would not seem like an appropriate
>affinity. Can he use the feat, and if so at any penalty?

I would say that the "blunt spear" feat would work perfectly well against a spear regardless of who is holding it.

To learn the feat the devotee would have to quest against Darra Happan opposition. Having learned the feat then he would be able to use it not just against Darra Happans but against anyone who had - mythically speaking - begged, borrowed or stolen Yelm's weapon. Of course the Praxians might not think the spear has anything to do with Yelm but the Vingkot devotee (and his god) knows that mythically this is the case.

Physically similar but mythically different weapons - such as tridents or sword-sticks - would IMO be immune to this feat.

>I realize that this is absolutely a your game may vary type thing,
>that different groups may have different feelings about. I'm just
>looking for people's opinions on the questions, and why they feel
>that way, to help me figure out how I feel on the subject.

As always YGMV.

--
Nic

This e-mail and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. They may contain information which is covered by legal, professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not copy the e-mail or the attachments, or use them for any purpose or disclose their contents to any other person. To do so may be unlawful. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us as soon as possible and delete the message and attachments from all places in your computer where they are stored.

Although we have scanned this e-mail and any attachments for viruses, it is your responsibility to ensure that they are actually virus free.