Re: Followers (was Re: Where's the traffic?)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:13:48 -0800

> My question is about followers vs narrator characters in combat. I
> recently had a situation where my players Heroes were leading a group of
> narrator characters in combat (see "Seven Samurai"). Should Heroes be
> allowed to employ these types of narrator character alongside whom they
> are fighting in the same way they could actual retainers and sidekicks?
> I mean as a source of augments or APs?
>
> I let them do it, but I've since had second thoughts. My reservation is
> that the hero point cost of a follower and the attendent relationships
> represents a level of experience with one another that allows Hero and
> Follower to closely coordinate their actions and this wouldn't be the
> case with more temporary friendly narrator characters.

One thing that Greg & I thought about, but that never got into the rules, was that you need a Follower Relationship with someone before they can provide "Follower" benefits (AP battery, Augments, Abilities, block Multiple Opponent penalties).

So if you have a Lunar officer with various leadership abilities and 50 rank & file in his unit, he doesn't get all 50 as "followers". But if he has "Follower: Bodyguard" then he gets to use the Bodyguard's "follower abilities".

For the 7-Samurai scenario you could make the peasants into "hordes" (if you want to roll for them, or have a "Follower: Horde of Peasants" that still only acts like a single follower); or you might just have their fortunes follow those of the Hero they are "attached" to - if the hero does well in the round, then "his" peasants are advancing and in good cheer, if he's losing they are retreating and demoralized. They become simply parts of the narrative background when used this way.

RR
- Richelieu