Re: The Opposite of Wounding: Building

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:54:59 -0000

> OK, kinda rambling now. Any of this make sense?

Yep, I'll try and reply as comprehensively as I can.

I agree that just basing the final ability rating off the resistance doesn't allow for variable results. One solution might be to apply a multiplier based on the final degree of success:

Marginal = 1/2x; Minor = 1x; Major = 2x; Complete = 4x

That's the same as was suggested for wounding, but seems too generous. Also multipliers are a bad thing when applied to ability ratings due to their logarithmic nature. Maybe a better table would be:

Marginal = R-10; Minor = R-5; Major = R; Complete = R+5

Where R is the resistance rating.

regarding the 'death' problem, I think Complete Success in a contest can definitely lead to absolute results. If you're trying to kill someone and get a Complete Success, they're dead and ratings be damned. Anything less than that is by definition not a complete success and so the resulting state can resonably be measured using the normal game rating system.

Simon Hibbs