Re: The Opposite of Wounding: Building

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:49:18 -0000

> >Marginal = R-10; Minor = R-5; Major = R; Complete = R+5
> >
> >Where R is the resistance rating.
>
> Hmm. The problem I'm having with this is that it doesn't jibe with
the other
> side of the equation (wounding) as we've got it now.

I like Nic's solution, that on a decent success you add extra desirable qualities to whatever you're working on.

I was kind of assuming a simple contest, whereas you're kind of assuming an extended contest. The problem is we need a system that works well in both cases.

I supose we could say that in an extended contest the extra desirable quality is rated according to the negative AP total, while in a simple contest it's 10 points per level of success. This makes simple contests perhaps more generous but not grievously so, and capps them at 20w2.

> That's a pretty clear statement. That is, if you drive something
to -31 or
> more AP, you simply give them the "normal" preventive use result,
instead of
> a mechanical result. That should have been obvious. Thanks.

As is often the case with HQ contests it goes back to the fundamental question of what the character is trying to achieve, and what is the nature of that objective? Sometimes an absolute result is appropriate, sometimes it isn't.

Simon Hibbs