RE: The Opposite of Wounding: Building

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:15:46 -0600

>From: "Nicolas Hughes" <nicolas.hughes_at_...>

>By driving it to -22AP in the process you may get to give it a Homely 2w
>ability, which can be used in many ways - including augmenting your Placate
>Nagging Wife ability.

The problem with this all is that the end result range has nothing to do with either the Ability of the character attempting the task, nor with the Resistance of the task. And worse, it adds a whole additional system that seems unneccessary. I agree that there seem to be two sorts of successes going on. But I think that part of this whole alternate system is to get rid of that fact. Instead there 's only one sort of success, measured either by mechanical methods, or with the Complete Defeat, as mentioned in my posts to Simon, as an extension of that spectrum.

>Back to the wounding suggestions, the carpenter could take an action to
>create
>Well Carved Lintels which would hinder the resistance of the house to
>further building (after all well carved lintels should be easier to put
>into place as well as looking nicer) and would create a lasting additional
>feature should the carpenter complete the house.

>From the start, I've assumed that this is the case. Basically, you can add
whatever traits onto the house, all using essentially the same system.

>Building a hut would probably be a simple contest for any
>carpenter up to the job of building a longhouse....

>I think it is less likely for the carpenter to create masterworks by the
>simple contest rules but narratively I would be content with this - if it
>is not significant enough to the story to merit an extended contest then
>the result should be unlikely to be of great consequence to the story.

I'd buy that, and the chart you propose. Actually, I'd use the one for Community Support (just for ease of reference), again, which is very similar to what you propose.

Mike

Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a high-speed Internet connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed providers here. https://broadband.msn.com