My first thoughts on HW

From: Alain Rameau <karamo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 17:47:47 +0100

Now that I have read the HW rules, which mean I have complied with the pre-requisite "Have a look at the final version before commenting on the draft rules", I think I can give my first thoughts. Unfortunately, I have not been given the chance to play the game, so some of my comments are based on theory and first impression only.

Level of game : I really don't think a lot of new players will be able to gamemaster HW as their first (or so) RPG. The main reasons are that the name of the abilities and feats are too abstract for a gamemaster who does not know well Glorantha (for all magic interaction) or who is not able to refer to more mundane equivalences (for skill name for example). I played RQ for more than 15 years, and to be honest, I am not very ken to play HW as a Narrator (as a player, this is different). I think this will be too much work for the Narrator during the game, with not a lot of rules to stand on (a lot of reference in the rules are made to "Narrator's choice, opinion, or similar statement - maybe we could simply not roll dice at all !).

Extended contest system : this is presented as one of the keypoint of the system. In fact, as I understand, the extended system is only used for major events. For all the rest (90% of the game?), the standard ability tests and simple contests will be used, which tests are quite similar to most other RPG.
So my point is : was this new extended contest system with stakes and so on, really necessary. I think several simple contests could do the job as well
(for example : "to convince that clan chief you need three victories on
three attempts : if you fail one, he is destabilized, but not convinced. If you miss all of them, he is definitely convinced all you said was bulls**t and you'll have a malus on all future related actions with him (at best : may be will he arrest you for high treason ?)".

Combat : While, when I was young, I liked the attack/parry/hit location/ weapon damage routine of RQ, I started losing interest in it, and I now prefer the more abstract Pendragon system. The HW system on this point is a bit too abstract. And this abstraction, in my opinion, is not necessarily helping much the Narrator (at first sight, running a group extended contest seems as complex as a standard fight in former RQ. Maybe shorter though) Also, young players generally like the combat aspect of RPG, and I think this could be too abstract for them to enjoy it.

I like the new magical classification, except the sorcery one. But this is not a HW problem, as I already had this concern with Sandy Petersen's Sorcery new organisation. For me, sorcerers where more kind of scientists using mundane abilties to create spells (alchemy,...), rather than followers of Saints.
Demons : demons had never been developped in former Gloranthan supplements
(AFAIK), and I always thougth that the "official" Glorantha didn't deal with
such creatures (i.e. they were not really part of Gloranthan Myhtology). It appears I was wrong, as in HW, there are many references to these entities
(I guess they will be developped later on in a supplement, with Demonolgy
rules ?). It's for me a major change in Glorantha (but I like it).

Well, I stop here for now, even if I'll probably have further comments later on.
To conclude on the above, I would say that the HW rules contain some improvements compared to RQ, but also, IMO some changes not so good. So, I don't find HW rules the great system everybody was waiting for. I understand that, in Greg's and other Gloranthan core-fan's opinion, HW is the best system so far for Glorantha. Unfortunately, I don't completely share this point of view but this is probably because I have a different Glorantha.

I would say that I will continue buying the HW products, especially for the background, but I'll definitely change dramatically the rules (probably mixed of RQ/Pendragon/HW).
My players are quite used to my current revisited RQ rules, and I probably may change them further, to introduce some of the concepts I like from HW rules. But I'm pretty sure they won't be ready for a complete change of system, especially as the improvement is somewhat limited.

Alain
"Runequest & Glorantha" a http://www.karamo.btinternet.co.uk/rq.htm