Narrative link to contests format

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:00:46 EST

<< Since the film is a narrative of events I don't think we can go  backwards in the process from the narrative to a definitive set of  bids and dice rolls in an extended contest.>>

I disagree, not that it matters, and it is just my opinion, but I think it is possible to go back from the narrative and almost assign bids and contest outcomes for films, books, comic strips etc. We might argue over exactly what was happening but I think it is something that can be done.

 <<Many different ways of running the attempted seduction and the fight  could result in the same narration. Indeed the fight could be a  simple contest within the seduction. The entire thing could be part  of a Jedi/Sith extended contest over 5 (or so) millenia. It could  climax of the personal contest between Yoda and Palpatine, or Obi  Wan and Anakin, Vader vs Anakin or even Padme vs Vader. Each of  these conflicts could be being resolved. In the film any and all of  the conflicts are being resolved. >>

Again, I disagree.If the entire thing were part of an extended Jedi/Sith contest then it (the entireconflict) would be, in the context of a film, a scenes, probably with narration explaining what happened in the conflict. It would not be the whole film, one contest=/=one film, if it were written it would not be the whole story, but a few paragraphs. I think there is a direct link from how the scene is played to how is would appear in the narrative form that one might be modelling it on/getting inspiration from.

Keith