Re: edges/handicaps & simple contests & miscellanea

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 18:53:57 +0100

On Sun, 21 May 2000 12:30:55 -0500, Steve Lieb <steve_at_...> wrote:

>Sorry if these have already been gone over, but could someone briefly let me
>know:

they have been, they will be again... ad nauseam :)

>1) edges/handicaps seem to be used regularly in the contest of extended
>contests. What are their impacts/effects in regards simple contests?

None. As written, Edges, Handicaps and weapon/armour Rank have NO effect on Simple contests. And I don't like it either.

>2) simple group contests - as I understand it, it's group a vs. group b.
>take the lowest roll of each, +3 for each failure in the group, +6 for each
>critical failure in the group, yes? wouldn't it make sense to -3 for each
>success and -6 for each critical success, too?

I think (it's badly worded) the point is to treat it as both having succeeded, so lowest roll wins. Therefore adding to the lowest roll on each side allows this.

>As it is, then a "group" of
>1 has a better chance of success than a "group" of 40.

It's just not a system designed for such uneven sides. If the two are contesting against each other, I imagine the single contestant must still cope with Multiple 'attacker' penalties. That should cripple his chances...

>3) On a complete tangent, I like the grievous wounds rule for combat, with
>the AP lost PLUS the wound effect. I think it's a nice compromise and makes
>the extended combat scarier, even for the winner.

Yup. Now... could you inflict a Grievous Wound AND take off 7 AP for a normal one? :) Actually, I'm thinking of making the Grievous Wound an Injury, not just a Wound.

>4) Question for people in general: you have the typical roleplaying "strong
>guy with two handed sword, vs. nimble thief with dagger".
>Certainly there's the class difference for weapons, but if the thief has
>"Agile" or "Nimble" - would you give him an improv penalty?

No, you'd allow the thief to Augment with his Agile, either for a defensive Edge (dodging) or offensive Edge (strike fast at vital locations) or offensive Bonus (strike fast anywhere handy). My simplified rule is allow a +2 Edge or +1 Bonus per 10 points of Augmenting Ability. That's generous for low abilities, but increasingly miserly at high levels. If Narrator or player prefer, make the roll as usual, of course (to spend Hero Points, for example), but it takes longer.

Wulf