Re: Equipment Bonuses in Combat

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:11:08 -0800

David asks:

> But I'm not really sure how. Do people add up all of them, or use
> different modifiers depending on whether a player is rolling for his
> turn (presumably attack) or as opposition (presumably defense)? The
> examples suggest that you use different modifiers for attack and
> defense. But one could argue that use of a shield and armor means you
> can take chances you wouldn't otherwise, and should be a bonus on
> your Sword & Shield Fighting. Or even that a shield bash is more
> effective if you're holding a sword, which throws the enemy off
> balance.

I generally add them to particular abilities - A sword & a shield will modify Sword & Shield Combat (obviously), but not run or dodge (unless negatively). So both an attack or defense using S&S will get the bonuses for having a sword & a shield.But if he attacks with S&S but defends with Dodge, he gets them both on attack, but neither on defense. (unless it's "I dodge behind my shield", in which case he gets the shield but not the sword...).

I tend to play fast & loose, so if a player is playing cool, I'll let him have the bonuses. But if he gets outrageous, then I'll rein him back in. If the description of the action seems to indicate that equipment would help (using a "punch" ability with the left hand which happens to be holding the shield, say) then allow it. If it seems that the equipment would get in the way (trying to "grapple" with a sword in your hand) then give it as a penalty instead.

> And are weapon bonuses used only for offense? Parrying with a sword
> is presumably more effective than parrying with a dagger. (But
> shouldn't be more effective than parrying with a shield, which the
> table seems to suggest.)

Yeah, I should have kicked harder to re-do shield values when HQ was in the formative stages. A typical shield should probably be a 3, a buckler 1 or 2, and a Roman scutum or a pavise 5 or 6. A Greek hoplite or Roman legionare should be a tough nut to crack!

If you've attached them to the ability (or description) then it really doesn't matter if they are attacking or defending.

RR
- Richelieu