Re: Re: Equipment Bonuses in Combat

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:11:35 -0800

> >I generally add them to particular abilities - A sword & a shield will
> >modify Sword & Shield Combat (obviously), but not run or dodge (unless
> >negatively). So both an attack or defense using S&S will get the bonuses
for
> >having a sword & a shield.
>
> And do you give armor bonuses on both sides too? (I didn't get this
> sense from the rules, though it's certainly plausible.)

Yep - pile on all the modifiers (attack & defense) at the start of the contest & don't worry about who is doing what to whom. As you noted, armor can make you "braver" (or more reckless...) on attack, and a weapon can be used to parry.

Frex:

   Joe has Sword (+3) and shield (+1) and leather armor (+1) to augment his Sword and Shield 17 ability - so he has a S&S of 2w at all times (at least until he augments it with something else, or loses equipment...).

   He's up against Fred, who has Spear (+3) large shield (+2) and plate armor (+5) to augment his Hoplite Combat 17, for a total of HC 7w.

The fight starts as a 2w v. 7w contest. It's a lot asier to just work with the one number for your ability, instead of "I'm 20 on attack, and 19 on defense". (Yes, this does mean that the basic Target Number is generally higher in HQ than it was in HW).

It saves a lot of figuring out during combat, and fits the style of play more, since each exchange is more than just "Joe swings at Fred, Fred Parries" type of combat and either side can end up with a major defeat from it. Ripostes and stop-thrusts are included in the "defensive" roll.

RR
- Richelieu