RE: Equipment Bonuses in Combat

From: Nicolas Hughes <nicolas.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:51:12 -0000

RR:

>>A typical shield should probably be a 3, a buckler 1 or 2,
>>and a Roman scutum or a pavise 5 or 6. A Greek hoplite or Roman
>>legionare should be a tough nut to crack!

>That is probably quite reasonable, but I do find it a
>bit troublesome that equipment counts for more than
>magic augments. Shouldn't a 10w2 magic protection be
>worth rather more than a simple shield (even if it is
>a big and thick one)?

>This is a general observation, on finding magic bonuses
>rather measly.

Any single augment is usually pretty unimpressive, the idea with magic is to augment lots of times. Tried using 3 or 4 shields at the same time recently?[1]

T'was ever thus - back in the old RQ days a hoplite shield provided more protection than you could hope to replicate with Protection or even Shield spells.

Magic is of course less vulnerable to being removed and more flexible when used actively. One Shield Breaker feat and your big shield is useful for nothing more than kindling and scrap. Similarly a Great Parry feat might stop a giant's stomp attack where a shield would make no practical difference[2].

[1] If you have succeeded then you are a walktapus and I claim my 5 clacks.

[2] OK, you get to be a shield-shaped smear rather than a foot-shaped smear, not really a massive benefit although possibly amusing for onlookers.

--
Nic

This e-mail and any attachments are strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. They may contain information which is covered by legal, professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee, you must not copy the e-mail or the attachments, or use them for any purpose or disclose their contents to any other person. To do so may be unlawful. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us as soon as possible and delete the message and attachments from all places in your computer where they are stored.

Although we have scanned this e-mail and any attachments for viruses, it is your responsibility to ensure that they are actually virus free.