Re: Common Magic

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:17:35 -0000

I'm sure you could. If you look at the Esrolia homeland in the HQ book, two of the common magic societies have "confuse foe" as a common magic spell. Also, Lanbril the thief offers the "confuse onlooker" and "confuse victim" talents. Note that key in these is that specify an effect and what that effect works on, and I think that is key to controlling common magic, it is never just an effect. You can have several similar talents that work on different things, but you have to raise them seperately. In this regard, "befuddle opponent" might be a little broad, since it could work on someone you are fighting with, bargaining with, playing checkers with....

As to how it works, why simple, it makes your foe befuddled :)

In rules terms, either:

> Likewise could you have a common magic talent 'Heal the
> dying/injured/hurt patient' so that would return them to full
health.

No. That is, there are many suggested common magic healing abilities. You'll notice that they are quite specific as to what they work on: heal broken bone, stop bleeding, and so on. Also, there are specific rules covering magical healing, and how they work. Since common magic is the most limited of the magic types, it certainly won't break these rules. So you have to choose what type of magical healing you'll take as your common magic ability, and hope it is what you need.

Note also that unless you've concentrated your magic, you'll only be using this as an augment. Most fairly common magical healing (stop bleeding, etc) is probably an appropriate augment to first aid following combat.

> Please excuse the Runequest in me!

No problem :) I find it fun to think of how to reflect some of the runequest magic in HQ (still working on mindspeech....). However, some of it just does not translate well.

--Bryan