Rules FAQ question

From: Michael Bowman <bowman_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:26:22 -0800

I have a question about the 5th question in the Heroes section of the Rules FAQ (http://www.glorantha.com/support/hq_faq.html#Heroes ).

The answer to this question states that abilities that cost multiple hero points to raise during play (for example, affinities) also cost multiple points of the 20 points spent during character creation (3 per +1, in the case of affinities).

My main question: is this an errata to the rules? The only mention of ability cost during character creation I can find in the HeroQuest book is in the description of each of the 3 character creation methods. The relevant sentence says: "It costs 1 point to raise any ability by +1."

If this is an errata to the rules, then should we use every multiple cost and every multiplier in the Consolidated Hero Improvement Costs table on pp. 272-273? Including the double cost for non-concentrated magic? Including the multiplier for improving any ability by more than one at a time (which would change all the examples in the Heroes chapter, I suspect)?

Michael Bowman