Re: follower actions vs. multiple attackers

From: DaveCamo_at_...
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:33:46 +0000

Hi!

>We all know followers can prevent you from suffering from multiple
>attacker penalties. Most typically at the start of combat they loan
>you AP, then block attackers until their AP are used up.
>
>But can they prevent multiple attacker penalties otherwise? If they
>augment you, does that count? I suppose it would depend on the
>narration of how they were augmenting you.

<Snip a description of Bob getting into a fight over his head without the help of his sidekick, Dan>

>Now Dan wants to join the combat. The goal is for Bob to have no
>penalty against the third attacker, and only -3 against the fourth.
>Dan can't add his AP to Bob at this point. He could augment him, or
>loan him AP I suppose. How would you rule what is sufficient
>commitment to count as a third defender?

Once a fight begins, a loyalty roll would have to be made based on the 'job description' of the follower. If Dan's a warrior (I'm guessing not since he's only armed with a dagger), this is right up his alley and there'd only be a resistance of 14. If, on the other hand, Dan's an apprentice merchant, this was not on his job description! The resistance would be higher (I don't have my book on me to look up the page of the table). After that, it's the narrator's call. If the loyalty roll succeeds, Dan can help and depending on how he helps would certainly count as a 3rd defender.

Camo