RE: Playing Animists

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:48:48 -0500

Mike Holmes writes:

> > Do all types of common magic require the allocation of 10%
> > of the character's time & resources?
>
> Yeah, this one bother's me, too, because there are no common
> magic religion keywords.

I'm confused. I thought the 'sample common religions' provided example templates for these? i.e. worship of Donandar, Imarja, Lanbril, Seven Mothers, and Vai Madar Sa are all examples of religious practices that fall under the Common Magic keyword.

(My take on it is this: you get 'Common Magic 17', and this provides the basis for whatever common magic you start with. 10% of your time must be spent dedicated to your Common Magic, in totality. Dedicating more time to particular aspects of Common Magic doesn't make much sense to me: I envision Common Magic as the sort of "everyman's religious practices"; if it took up more than a tenth of your time, then you'd presumably follow some other religious practice.)

> So does having common magic from that religion make you a
> member?

Not really, not. In fact, it might even anger members of the religious practice.

> OTOH, I've never been able to figure out what to do with the
> whole percentage system. It seems to me that it's just there
> to limit religion membership so that characters don't just
> stack religions to the sky. It seems to me that there are more
> than enough character centric reasons not to do this that
> it'll never be a problem. Moreover, if a player did go about
> "collecting" religions, I'd have a field day with having those
> communities call on him left and right. The end effect would
> be better than limiting by these percentages. So I think this
> is mostly a non-issue.

Sure -- what you're describing is a workable system, but it demands active participation by the GM. A lot of groups don't have the same dynamics or a GM comfortable, creative, or assertive enough to do that. The percentage system is a mechanic that supports this practice because it focusses character development in accordance with the character's choices.

I don't see a big deal with it, but if you're more comfortable dispensing with the percentage system and ensuring that the player's choices have consequences, I don't see a big problem with this.

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+