Re: more rules things

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 07:43:52 -0700

Tim asked

> I have a question which is related to AP Pools (I think) - That is,
> where do the AP's come from that are used when one character loans AP
> to another? It makes sense if both characters are involved in an
> extended contest, and so have currently "active" AP totals

They come from the future of the loaning character...

> What does cause a problem is if the aid comes from someone not
> currently part of the contest. The Orlanthi weaponthane watching the
> debate decides to use his "Hearty Voice" skill to loudly cheer and
> yell "Hear Hear!" in order to loan points. If he has to transfer
> AP's, where do they come from? What stops him from doing this every
> round?

I'd effectively start his AP at that point (at his usual starting value). If he decided to enter the contest (i.e. the Issaries friend loses), he'd have his reduced value.

And obviously, he can't loan more than he has, so he can't do it every round.

Alain

> I have to admit that my scepticism regarding Hero Wars system comes
> mainly from my bitterness. In fact, I played for more than 15 years
> using RQ system, creating my own rules, adding material,...
> And now, I have almost to start from scratch if I want to keep up
> with the Gloranthan fan herd ! I am definitely not happy to throw all
> past work to the bin. That's why I'd like to use it someway.

On the plus side, you can finally use a single system for mundane gaming (even probably at the stickpicker level, though I haven't played with starting values less than 12) and heroquesting.

I like to think of it more as not *needing* all those rules patches. And certainly any other material is useful -- I will be keeping my list of Grazer spirits if I run a Grazer game under Hero Wars.

Dave

> Am I right in thinking the spirit combat ability is one that everybody can
> reasonably be expect to have and therefore default to 6?

Well, for defensive purposes maybe. But I wouldn't allow a sorcerer to lark off and start integrating spirits with his default.

But as Wulf points out, a spirit attack would probably be considered magical, and you could use some better defense. (Although he is incorrect about penalties for such things as Strong Willed -- you can *always* use such an ability with no penalty to defend against magic, despite the incorrect reference in the Narrator's Book; see p. 170-171).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein