Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:42:08 -0000

> It's a Feat called "Decapitate Foe".... have found these "all-or-
nothing" feats confusing.
> Jane Williams

They don't have to be. To decapitate a foe you either need a complete success in a simple contest, or to -31 or more in an extended contest. A wise man once said that if you put the words 'Try to...' in front of the feat it all becomes a lot clearer.

To take the original argument.

Another case:
>My player has the magical "Boots of Hermes 5M". In a race with
Sporty "Run
>fast 5M", from point X to point Y, distance 15M2, he beats his
opponent
>easily,
>because he only needs to beat a resistance of 14, while Sporty has
to beat
>the
>mundane resistance.
>
>Sporty gets angry because he lost the race and wants to beat up my
player. He
>is trying to catch me pitting his "Run fast" against my "Boots of
Hermes",
>all of a sudden we are equal.

I suggest that your boots of hermes (Mastakos?) may be great for travelling great distances (pompous magic issue here perhaps?) but not necarssarily for evading someone in combat. In fact, I may even rule that the boots of hermes would be inneffective in this competition.

Just my thoughts.
Rob