FW: negative skills vs. positive ones

From: Steve Lieb <steve_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:05:17 -0500

One thing I'm having some trouble with is that there is a functional difference between a POSITIVE skill (eg using the skill causes something to happen) and a NEGATIVE skill (using it causes something NOT to happen).

So when someone attacks and I use "dodge" - what happens when we both fail? I've thought that the simplest solution would be to say the positive skill MUST succeed for the result to matter (ie. if he misses, it doesn't matter if I dodge) but then I get stuck on fumbles. What if I critically fail my dodge?

Same goes for listen/sneak, etc.

-Steve Lieb