RE: Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:29:09 -0600

>From: <stephenmcg_at_...>
>
>If you wanted to differentiate you could just call using a mundane ability
>versus a magical one 'difficult' and assign a penalty of 10 or 20 or
>whatever (possibly 14 to have some resonance with the default resistance) -
>depending on how much better you wanted magic to be.

I was going to mention something like this. In the last go around, people suggested that mundane abilities augment the 14 resistance. That works pretty well. It means that magic has it's special place, and yet mundane abilities aren't ignored. Thus in the jumping example, the 2W2 guy would resist with 14 + 6 = 20 - he'll still likely lose, but his jumping helps.

Note that this problem always persists, however, no matter what solution you use because of the basic rules. That is, even if I make dude roll at 14 against my magic tree jumping, he might win. You always have to be able to explain that somehow. Which probably requires the narrativist touch.

IOW, can somebody give me an example of how a person with no special jumping ability, defaulting to 14 for magic resistance loses against the guy who can jump trees at 5W? Well, if you can do that, then you can also use the same explanation for the 2W2 mundane guy.

The usual call is that the magic failed if you want to remain in game. In that case, what the 2W2 means is not that the guy can jump higher than a tree, or that you can't, just that it tends to work less often when going against such an opponent. No doubt for metaphysical reasons.

Mike