Re: Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:15:28 +0000

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:50:32 -0500, you wrote:

>At 12:48 PM -0800 2/27/04, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
>>So a footrace between "Run Fast" mundanely and "Run Fast" Magically is a
>>straight contest between abilities. Racing back to town to get help using
>>"Run Fast" Magic is a contest between the road (Distance, road conditions,
>>etc). and the magic, while a magical "Run Fast on Roads" is a contest
>>between the ability and 14, with some fudge factor for how much quicker the
>>players wants the trip to be.
>
> As I said in the previous post, I would treat a race as
>separate rolls against the distance (or difficulty). First, because
>it lets more than two people compete -- the one with the best level
>of success wins. Second, because it would give guys with appropriate
>abilities (movement magic, Race) a boost depending on how difficult
>the race is and what specific abilities they have.

That works if you have a race. What about the situation where one is chasing the other?

I suppose you could phrase it that I have 15W Run Fast (mundane) in a contest against a Place of Safety 10W2 away, while you have 20 Run like the Wind (magical) against the 14 resistance of the world, but it gets messy.

York BSAC Web Page:
http://website.lineone.net/~york_bsac