Re: HQ game system licensing?

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:43:43 +0000

>I'm not sure who I should be sending this to, so please redirect it as
>appropriate :)

Detailed questions should probably go to Steve Martin (stephen_at_...). He doesn't read the lists, so you'd need to e-mail him directly.

>I was wondering who should be contacted if one wanted to get the
>permission to make a game using the game system (keywords, simple and
>extended contests, AP, etc.) of HeroQuest.
>The game would have nothing to do with Glorantha whatsoever, so it's
>really the game system I'm interested in. It would be a non-profit
>personal project, but might end up as a PDF on a web site if it's ever
>completed (so many projects, so little time...)

Issaries online policy would already cover most of this, providing the result is given away without charge. You'd probably be in trouble if you wanted to include the actual rules, but if you produced a supplement you should be fine. See Bruce Ferrie's Buffy and Superhero HQ variants for the sort of thing that should be fine.

>Also, out of curiosity, I was wondering what it would cost to license the
>game system should one want to do commercial "for-profit" rpg using the HQ
>system? (Not that one should hope making profits selling rpgs :)

No idea. I'd imagine they'd want a percentage, but it would probably depend on what you intended.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson