Re: Re: War clan vs mixed clan

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:08:22 -0800

> >Also their war band is apt to be proportionately larger,
>
> What's your reasoning here? Wouldn't the size of the warband be
proportional
> to the size of the tribe typically? I mean, isn't it just "able-bodied
> males"? Or is there some Glorantha thing going on here that I'm not aware
> of?

A larger fraction of the men (and women) are likely to be in the warband (as opposed to the fyrd) than in a non-war clan. More will follow a "War God" than Barntar or a Allfather aspect god. They'll get their food & support more by raiding/"protection fees"/mercenary fees than by agriculture. They are geared for war - it doesn't make sense not to have a larger "standing army" than a more peaceful neighbor.

RR
- Richelieu