RE: Agressiveness of Walls

From: Philippe Krait <philippe.krait_at_...-csf.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:07:33 +0100

From: Dave Bailey <dave.bailey_at_...>

> How about the following being the Cliffs "attacks"
>
> 1) Gusting wind pulling at the Heroes
> 2) Blinding rain streaming into the eyes
> 3) Course rockface stripping the finger prints and making the
> fingers numb
> 4) small rock slides
> 5) hail battering of the armour and getting caught down their backs.
> 6) Low visibility, player start to loose their line of ascent.

I had thought about these, but my main problem was more with the mandatory sequence of PC "attacks", Cliff "attacks", repeat ad nauseam.

This is why (and to rejoin the question about searching, but it is also true for swimming, riding,...) it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the extended sequence a bit more supple, saying that the "attacks" don't necessarily alternate.

It could be something like : three rounds for the PC, then one "rock slide" attack, then two more, then a "gusting wind" attack, etc... This could actually be quite interesting, because it would encourage players to try to get to the top quicker to avoid natural and unpredictable hazards by taking more risks (higher AP bid), thus risking more for themsleves if they fail...

From: "Hibbs, Philip" <philip.hibbs_at_...>

> >the character can chose (using the size of
> >his bid) whether to be careful or reckless, ...
> >But I don't see why the cliff face should "retaliate",
> >especially on a turn to turn basis.
>
> Sometimes, when climbing a cliff, you *have* to take risks to get past the
> hardest parts.

This could actually be another subject, about minimum bids in some cases, but I don't see why, in other cases (when you are not obliged to take risks) the Cliff should have to bid every other turn.

Philippe