Higher skill

From: Moah, platypus powaaa! <moah_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:45:17 +0200

Hi,

I have this problem (and some of my players have expressed concern about it too), that when you are in the same mastery range as your opponent, the game basically becomes a "whomever rolls lower" which isn't very fun or very rewarding to the person who has the higher skill. Sure, you can still have the occasional roll of both rolls being between the lowest ability and the highest, but it's rare. The worse is when the player with the lowest ability rolls under it, and the player with the highest rolls above the lowest ability, but under his. Although it's his better mastery in the skill (or whatever) that lets him succeed, he still loses.
I'd like my players to feel their ability is more important than the die roll, or at least more rewarding than it currently is. I'm considering switch either to "highest roll wins" or "highest difference between skill and die wins" Both means that having a higher skill improves your chance of getting the marginal victory for you.

Do you guys think my perception of the "problem" is just a psychological effect? Will the change make any difference? Am I adding too much complexity  for no result?

Moah, platypus powaaa!