Re: Re: Transforming abilities

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:13:41 -0400

Hi Bryan

On 21 May 2004 at 13:47, bethexton_at_... wrote:

> Relationships are more fun when they describe the emotional
> attachment rather than just the status, I think. So going
> from "loves Aleana" (or loyal to, protective of, or whatever)
> to "jealous of aleana" or "pines for aleana" or "still protective of
> aleana" or even "loathes that embodiement of the spirits of hell that
> uses the name aleana" (depending on what happened....) I think is
> stronger than just having a "status" relationship.

That's a good point. I'll definitely encourage that among my players.

> Also, sometimes there is a progress of supporting characters.
> Retainer to sidekick, sidekick to ally, patron to rival, etc. So if
> Aleana was originally modelled as a retainer, contact, or ally, she
> may change status (probably to contact or rival, although possibly
> even an ally or patron, depending on what happened).

True enough.

> To use the Googly Rock, I think he'd still need to buy "Googly Rock"
> starting at 13. But he might be able to change "Hunts Googly Rock"
> 8W into "Adores Googly Rock", "Protective of Googly Rock" etc, at 8W.
> Depending on what he is doing, he might sometimes be able to use that
> ability to augment his ability with the googly rock (and would also
> be able to use it in other situations).
>
> Just my feelings on it, no claim of gospel truth.

Not looking for Gospel truth. (Just like I wasn't looking for a fixed map. *grin*) Just wanted a sense or how reasonable people interpret the issue. The more tools in the toolbox as a Narrator, the more comfortable I am throwing stuff out in play.

LC