Re: Magic items (was Transforming abilities)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:07:28 -0700

> Here's another aspect I'm curious about with this. When to use the "14 is
natural magic
> resistance" aspect of these things? It would certainly be one way in which
a magic item
> having a seemingly low rating wouldn't be as big a deal. If I have a Love
Potion 2W,
> should the person I use it on get to resist with their hatred of me, or
Icy Cool, or Strong
> Will, or is the fact that it IS magic more important, and they roll
against 14?

"Default 14" is used *only* as a passive resistance. If there is a active ability being used against you, then you don't get the 14 default.

If a Wall isn't preventing you from jumping over it, then Wall-jumping magic is resisted by 14, even if it's the Topless Walls of Troy (Tall 10w4). But if there is a Spirit/Daimon/Essence/Guardian of the wall that has "Resist Jumpers 10w3", then your magic is up against that 10w3 (even if it was only a "Tall 5w" garden wall in the first place - it might be better not to use magic, or to only augment with it, than to use it actively).

RR
- Richelieu