Re: Improving magical items: A Sword Story (longish)

From: Ilkka Vuoristo <ilolvu_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 13:16:05 +0300

Hi,

In HeroQuest (Wars) the one of the most intriguing and fascinating parts is how it handles magical items. They're just like any other ability! (as you all know...) They can be improved and fine-tuned. They can be followers... or even patrons or enemies. They can become almost anything... with time and hero points.

Story bit:

In the Swords of Death pbem campaign I have a badass Humakti with a badass sword. Or that's how it started. Then I thought that the sword, being very important to my character, deserved a name. So I picked cool-sounding
'Slithering Bane.' And that's what I put into my narrative.

Afterwards I started to get into character and got to thinking more about various stuff, including 'Slithering Bane'. That name sounds draconic, doesn't it? So 'Bane' got a history (all unofficial and lacking GM approval). It became an ancient blade forged in the time of the Empire of Wyrms Friends. At this point I had pretty much exhausted my imagination. It didn't have any game effect, just some character stuff that I liked.

Then we were on the Cradle taking the sword to the Lunars. And there of course was nasty Lunar magic flying around... most annoying. So I thought: "Wouldn't it be nice to have something handy to put the magic to Death?" I must have passed my Illumination test, because the first thing that popped up was... the sword. I improvised a special magic defeating ability from my
'Slithering Bane' -ability. And took the sword to some pesky chaos mages.

And that was when the magical item, that was just gimme-more-combat-bonuses, became an important part of my character. It now has magic and useful special abilities beyond pure combat. It will have history, flavour and personality. But I'm doing it in small bits that reflect the way the campaign will go.

Rulesy bit:

This being how I'll handle magical items:

  1. There is no limit to how high a magical item may be raised, as long as hero points are paid and story moves forward.
  2. Items may have special abilities used with the items score. They must be improvised in play and cemented with hero points. They cannot be independently improved.
  3. All special abilities MUST be closely related. Pick one narrow field and stick to it.

I'm considering making magical items cost as much as other magical abilities, i.e. double if character has not concentrated magic use.

I know that this will make magical items very powerful and important in my game. Answer to that is: So? That is not any different than a Humakti putting all his points into combat skills. He'll have zillion masteries in Close Combat skills, but still can't formulate a sound tactic to lead his men to victory. Hero points are precious, one must think carefully where to put them.

I think that this will add flavour to magical items. What do you think? Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Thanks,
Ilkka.