stealing school secrets

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:23:06 +0200 (CEST)

Light Castle

> That's an interesting way to put it. So in a way, given that you are not
> just cut off, you are actively blocked, it is actually easier to attune
> to a found Grimoire than to one from a school you were in and then banned.

Hmm. Using the computer access parallel a bit further: Is it just my old account on the Grimoire, materialized in my cookbook, that is banned, or do I draw vengeful essences whenever I try to contact the node via any copy of that node's grimoire?

If I manage to steal a fellow wizard's copy of the grimoire, can I use it?

> I guess this makes it hard to do the Wizard who "betrayed our school and
> stole our secrets". (Or, that wizard is nastily powerful enough to
> avoid/overcome the ban.)

Rather: as soon as I notice that I am going to leave the school on unfriendly terms, I start to put down the Grimoire knowledge in separate spells which I am certain to keep? I do lose the advantage of parallel advances, but I keep my magic.

If I understand the rules correctly, spending an extra hero point on those spells you like best makes sense if you want to stay with the school, too, speeding up your advancement.

In Otherworld terms, does this establish a direct link to the spell's source in the Otherworld, bypassing the grimoire node if need be?

If so, when I lose access to that node, do I retain my full skill (former grimoire ability plus spell ability) on the bypass?

Or does the Ban increase the casting difficulty for all spells linked to that grimoire node?

> What about where it mentions that other spells are sometimes learned since
> it is hard to attune new spells to a grimoire?
> Where do they come from, and are those banned too?

Every school (or indeed practitioner) has a number of spells from other sources which may be researched and improved individually, but are not part of the grimoire. It's a bit like having an old but workable Pentium 200 Linux workstation along with a racy but wormridden Windows computer - there are situations when the second-best gets useful.