Re: Re: Questions about Lunar concentration

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 16:47:38 -0500

>From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>

>By common magic religion, Rory is talking about the rules in MoLaD p45.
>That covers the circumstances in which Donandar and Lanbril are presented
>as Common Religions yet they can be specialized in to obtain higher
>magic (as described in Storm Tribe p210-11 or HQ p124 for Donandar).

OK, so as I don't have those, no surprise that it's confusing to me, no? I guess what I'm asking is for clarifications on the material in the core rules.

> >I'm still confused about common magic religions and how they work,
>actually.
> >I don't remember that we ever cleared any of that up. Can a person take a
> >common magic religion keyword as part of their common magic?
>
>Yes. The Teshnan Archer does so in the rules and his character
>sheet is visible on HQ p25.

That's actually what causes my confusion. My question is whether his Vai Mader Sa Religion Keyword counts as his Specialized Magic keyword, or if it's just associated with common magic. Given that it's listed under "Magic" as the keyword there, I guess that it's a specialized magic keyword. But that seems contradictory, as I thought that "specialized" indicated non-common magic by definition.

That is, what seems to be the case is that there's "Common Magic" and "Common Magic Specilized Religions," which apparently have nothing to do with each other outside of Common Magic coming from the religions in question.

What would have been clearer would be if this sort of example didn't exist, and you couldn't take common magic religions as specialized magic keywords, or if common magic itself had a slot for a keyword and common magic religions went under that. Even more confusing is the fact that the character in question is Teshnan, and their magic seems to have exceptions to the normal rules. Such that I'm not even sure that this isn't just some aberation allowed by the fact that the character is Teshnan. (I'm very confused as to how Teshnan religion is supposed to work, actually; it's differences seem to be at variance with some of the general rules like concentration).

Further, I've been told before that more than one common magic religion keyword can be taken (or at least somebody was doing that in their game) and that they *don't* count against your specialized magic keyword limit. I which case I'm really confused...

> >Part of the problem that I have with this is that so few of the common
>magic
> >religions are defined (as opposed to how many are presented) that you'd
>have
> >to do a lot of work to create the keywords for them if someone declared
> >themselves a member?
>
>Why do you need to create keywords for most of them? Most
>common religions are devoid of higher meaning and what's described
>in their shortform is all they teach.

My question then is still unanswered. Are the common magic religions that aren't enumerated all lacking a potential keyword, all of the sort that are, as you say, "devoid or higher meaning" such that no keyword is forthcoming, or is it the case that some of them ought to have keywords, and they were just ommitted? I mean, details on the worship of many gods are ommitted, but my assumption is that they exist, just that they haven't been worked out in the book. Or is that assumption incorect as well?

My point is that it seems that some keywords are enumerated, and some are only implied in the book. So what proportion of the common magic religions listed, if any, might be deserving of havng keywords? Or is this just a YGMV moment?

Mike

Get 200+ ad-free, high-fidelity stations and LIVE Major League Baseball Gameday Audio! http://radio.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200491ave/direct/01/