Re: Re: Questions about Lunar concentration

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 16:21:01 -0700

> >Since you're not playing in the setting, why worry about setting-specific
> >rules questions?
>
> Its hard to separate magic from the rules-system.

Well, it *was* written to be an integrated system.

>That is, I'd like to use
> as much of it as I can that pertains, so I'm not seeking to get rid of
that
> material. So I try to understand it as best I can. I'm not too interested
in
> Self-Rock itself actually, but I am very interested in the overall idea of
> common magic, and trying to get a handle on it. So it's important to know
> things like the fact that there are multiple ways to concentrate in common
> magic (and apparently all sorts of things).

The magic system was written *for* Glorantha, so anything about "this is common", or "this is uncommon", or "You can't go from the God Plane to the Spirit Wold" is pretty Glorantha specific. Once you've thrown out the Gloranthan material, you are 'way off the beaten track!

When you ask about Self Rock you are asking a Glorantha specific question. We've tried to answer it for Glorantha. But is it the only way to concentrate common magic your universe? I can't answer that question! Only you can answer it, because you know what pertains to your game. And you are specifically empowered to "make it up".

HeroQuest wasn't written to be a generic system (though it works fine for just about any sort of heroic adventure game), and the magic system is the biggest chunk of Gloranthan material in the book.

RR
- Richelieu