Re: Re: Questions about Lunar concentration

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:39:41 -0500

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
>
>Usually, a common magic religion is "free" in addition to a specialized
>magic. You can be a Heortling with Flesh Man magic and still worship (as an
>initiate, since devotees have to "abandon any magic not of their god") one
>of the god/ess/es of the pantheon.

OK, that was clear. I'm not worried about common magic per se. I'm worried about Common Magic Religion Keywords.

>Well, they aren't keywords per se, and you still only get 5 common magic
>abilities no matter how many "common magic religions" you belong to
>(without
>spending some of your chargen points on them).

OK, here's precisely where the confusion is. There are sample common magic religion keywords in the book - for Donandar, Lanbril, etc. These are keywords, right? They include all sorts of abilities within them. These are what I'm wondering about. I assume that you can reasonably take these during chargen if you belong to a culture that encapsulates one (like the one for Esrolia - can't remember the name off hand), or if, as you mentioned, you have an occupation that would make sense taking one of the universal ones like Lanbril.

The question is, if I take one of these, does it count against any limit? A better question than asking if it counts as Specialized Magic, might be to ask if it counts as the character's one automatic religion keyword that they get usually associated with the culture? That is, if I'm an Orlanthi thief, do I have to choose between Lanbril and the Storm Pantheon? If I'm from Esrolia, do I have to choose between the Esrolia common magic religion, and the Earth Pantheon? Or do I get these for free as they are religions that are associated with other keywords that I have taken?

Again, the reason I ask it because it seems to make certain things more attractive if they are "free". Sure Tarsh as a homeland has several common magic religions associated with it. But none of them have keywords associated with them. I can get common magic from these religions, but every homeland has ways to get common magic. Not all of them have common magic religion keywords associated with them. Similarly, it makes the entertainer and theif more appealing if they automatically get the choice to take the Donandar and Labril Keywords respectively.

So, are the occupations and homelands "balanced" in terms of Common Magic Religion Keywords - that is do they count against some limit? Or do some occupations and homelands have this "advantage" of free extra keywords associated with them?

It may just be that I'm missing something so glaringly obvious that you're making an assumption that I understand it - hence why I seem to keep asking the same thing, despite getting the same answers over and over.

Mike