Animist Power (Was: Animists and available spirits)

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:10:53 -0500

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>

>On the other hand, a +20 boost to a skill (even without the attendent AP)
>is
>still pretty darn good for a simple invocation

I have to agree with this. I've got a animist in my game right now that has a spirit with a 10W2 rating. When invoked that's a +50 to his ability rating. What, precisely, is weak about that?

Let's consider a very experienced animist with such a thing. He'll likely have the related ability at, say, 5W2 himself. Altogether, when he unleashes such a spirit, he'll be 15W4. Given a theist with a similar 5W2 ability, what will he have that can compete with that? Heck, what will he have that can compete with the +5 augment that the thing provides as a charm? I mean, basically, an animist can pick up abilties at a similar level to his practice rating just by binding more spirits at a fraction of the cost of building up such abilities from scratch.

Seems to me that this is rather more powerful than the other religions, not less. Yes, spirits can only be released once, and then they take a while to come back. But that means that comparing characters, that the animist comes out on top for one conflict - which is all he'll need.

Animists are actually pretty worrying to me in terms of power.

Mike