Re: AP pool ?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 21:56:13 -0700

> The person shouting "Hear, Hear!" with his Hearty Voice could add his APs
> to those of the person he is supporting as though he is a follower of that
> person. Of course, Hearty Voice is not terribly appropriate for an
> academic-style debate, so penalize it mightily (-10 at least). As a
> follower, the shouter presumably gets the gratitude of the person he is
> aiding if he wins, but if the person he is aiding loses, then he looks
like
> a total fool (suffers one greater level of penalty) for wading into a
> debate with inappropriate shouting.

Sounds reasonable to me (at 9:45 after a 100+ degree day in an office with no air comnditioning)

> Here is a question to go along with this:
>
> If the shouter uses his Hearty Voice to augment the debater's skill, is it
> possible (in canon) to add the same number of AP as the augment amount? If
> you only allow someone to try this once, this gets around the question of
> the shouter trying to transfer AP every round. I don't think that this is
> covered in the existing rules, so please try to limit the number of "this
> isn't covered in the rules" replies. I'm more looking for "this is
> plausible" or "this violates the spirit of the rules" types of responses.

So you're asking "Can I use the Augmentation table and act as a "fetish" - adding both a (single round) skill bonus *and* a number of AP equal to the augmentation? (I'm asking this because I had to read through the paragraph a couple times to make sure I got it).

Personally, I think this would be the result of a magical ability, rather than a mundane one. So if Bob had a "Big Voice" feat or spell I probably would allow it, but not if it was just his "Hearty Voice" mundane ability. I'd allow magic to bend the rules, but would rein in mundane abilities (just another way to seperate magic from mundane). Note: If Bob were an animist and had a real fetish that he tried to use for this I would probably *not* allow it - fetishes have to be touching the user (and sometimes the target). This is just my personal thoughts, not as the Editor.

RR
RR