Transfers (Was: Multi-way contests)

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:43:25 -0500

>From: "Light Castle" <light_castle_at_...>

>I love transfers otherwise, but that's because I'm a fan of the dramatic
>story fight, which
>is obviously where they come from. Being able to regain AP, to surge back,
>to draw
>strength from suddenly gaining advantage and push that momentum is very
>much in the
>spirit of cinematic combat.

But this happens with regular losses anyhow. That is, you can narrate your opponents loss and reducing his AP below yours the same way that you'd narrate a transfer. All that matters is relative position. Transfers just make things swing more dramatically, and make extended contests have more points to keep track of.

I'm not totally against the idea, it works just fine. It's just not really neccessary, and in some circumstances it creates a difficulty in being intuitively understandable, as in the race example. In my opinion - thie really is one of those YMMV issues.

Mike

Married. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married