Social Wounds

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:01:24 +0100

I've heard these mentioned a few times and wanted to add a brief input.

HW reminds me a bit of a board game called Tales of the Arabian Nights, and I think there are some ideas in that board game which we could pinch for HW.

In particular, TotAN has statuses which you gain and lose. For example:

Scorned
Envious
Imprisoned
Cursed
Crippled

and so on.

The effects of these statuses are that they prevent you doing things or force you into doing things in certain situations.

In HW you could gain a status with a rating and maybe a qualifier. i.e. you could be 'Scorned by Tribal Leader'/14, or 'Envious of Issaries Merchant'/12, or 'In Love with Sorceress'/5w. The narrator can then make you roll as appropriate and make or prevent you doing certain things accordingly. Social Wounds, as discussed elsewhere, would be a typical way to gaining these statuses.

Richard

P.S. I have HW but haven't read it yet 'cos I'm in the middle of a book (That Hideous Strength by C.S.Lewis). Shall be soon, though.