Fluffish Supporters

From: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:38:26 +0100

RR:
> Did the rest of the party back up their own matriarch by lending
> her their APs? (ie, both sides line up & glare at each other).

No they declined to!
When the family all spilled out the stead the party took one step back.

Me:
>>Is there no law of
>> diminishing returns from supporters?
RR:
> Not in the base rules - and probably not in future ones, but if
> you *really* have to have them, try looking at the Community
> Participation table (HW 244) - smaller groups provide a bigger
> bonus per capita than larger groups.

I made the reaction of the family up as cool fluff. So the figure 12, as the number of supporters, was the first thing that popped into my head. Only after the fight was underway did I begin to feel I had given the PC an arbritrarily difficult task. I could just as easily said 20. Really I just wanted to say 'some'.

RR:
> Was it Dramatic? Did the players have a good time or did
> they think you'd railroaded them?

_I_ felt I had railroaded them. And I detest railroading as a player and as a ref. They didn't care as it was just a demo.

I was concerned about how simple it is to whip an arbitrary set of opponents out the bag and accidentally stuff the players. But thinking about it, this is the same in every game, RQ included. The reason I am uncomfortable is because the players and do not yet have any way of judging levels of risk and what is or is not 'fair'. In RQ I would happily make up a group of extras on the spot, but I could judge how many and how good they should be to achieve the correct level of risk or perceived risk for the players. OK, so I can't judge this yet in HW - time will fix this problem.

Nick Hollingsworth
Birmingham - the land of the free and the home of the balti

PS. FYI: Roj, Manager of Waylands Forge, from his shop newsletter: