RE: Who plays golf?

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 11:27:52 +0100

>>For what I meant, maybe I'm thinking of Ypres. That was pretty muddy,
>>wasn't it?

Oh yes, plenty of mud at Ypres (several years of concentrated high explosive on boggy, poorly drained bottomland will do that) and indeed many other places and times on the Western Front - otherwise the cliche wouldn't be a cliche.

First day of the Somme however was a distinctly un-cliched WW1 battle; at least as far as weather and geography were concerned - it went off in dazzling sunshine over relatively unscathed (to start with at least), chalk downland.

Unfortunately for the 60,000-odd British casualties it was entirely cliched when it came to tactical and operational competance. On a personal note however, the thunderingly obtuse battleplan was a mildly good thing since my g/f's grandfather was in a dugout on the German side of the lines at the time.

Regards
Luke