Re: Look away - its an old woman!

From: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:54:33 +0100

KYER, JEFF:
> was that a particular Troublesome Matriarch, btw?

Yes.
Jodafar.
Best bit of the scenario in all the runs.

Those Humakti, eh! Copped it both times. They just can't help themselves. They had the franchise on looking tough and intimidating in RQ - well move over lads, this is HW.
<rewrite>
On the edge of the cliffs of insanity two sword masters duel back and forth. Finally the spaniard, forced back to the very edge by the man in black, gives a strange smile, then says

"I have to admit, you are better than me."
"Then why are you smiling."
"Because theres something you don't know ...... I'm actually an Ernaldan."
</rewrite>

> If the 'staredown' was to be only between the two of them, I'd
> say that they were not able to use it.
> Bringing a bunch of folks to help in a one-one-one situtation is a bit
> stinky, IMHO.

I think I asked the players what they wanted to do and if they wanted to help.
But they declined. However it may be a lack of understanding of the mechanics
and what their options were that made them reticent. Should have held their hands more perhaps.

Me:
> Was I right or am I a sadistic GM?

Mark Mohrfield:
> There's no reason that you can't be both:-)

Actually I don't have a problem with being a sadistic GM as long as the bruises dont show, and the players appear to be enjoying it. Interesting and memorable things must happen during the story, and sometimes you have to push things a bit to make it so. But I try to ensure that
 . players get to affect anything that has any lasting effect and  . if I take with one hand I try to give back with the other later If you have a choice between being fair and being interesting, you _have_ to go for interesting don't you? <troll>People who want to play fair-but-boring can always play a wargame.</troll>.

Hibbs, Philip
> If it is a social contest, there's no need for the character to
> actually *be* there for them to lose.

> The fact of their walking away in the middle of a
> contest is the same as turning their back and crossing their
> arms in the middle of a fight. I'd say roll the character's
> dice for them with a -20 penalty for having wimped out.
> Heroic leaders can, therefore, get away with this tactic,
> but plebs can't.

Actually, what I should have done was give the Troublesome Matriarch one final attack with a very low resistance as a parting shot, just as if you walked out of combat. Then if you leave while you are winning you have little risk, but if you have less AP than your opponent you risk a wound as you flee.
Erm, thats what you just said isn't it. Good. Yes. Bother. How obvious.
I'd better go and search for the rules on disengaging.

Nick Hollingsworth
Birmingham - the land of the free and the home of bugger all