Re: Religion and Childbirth

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:57:29 -0000

It does seem to be a common pattern, off the top of my head I would say it was true of the Heortling, Darra Happan, Bison People, Grazer and Esrolian (of course) homelands in the basic book. My recollection of Teshnos is less clear but I did have the impression that it was also true there. I would be surprised if in many cultures the women of the culture did not follow a religion that addressed the cultureappropriate  challenges and difficulties they would face in life, one of which is motherhood.

I'm less clear on the monotheists as the common people do not appear to progress beyond lay church membership, I presume they have other means to see them through the difficulties of life (such as appropriate blessings).

>Or are you saying that
> most religions include a mother figure in them, so the relationship
to the
> religion overall counts? That is, Ernalda is adressed in Orlanthi
religion,
> so just having a relationship with the religion would count?

All Heortling women worship Ernalda (for the ususual values of the Orlanthi "all").

>Also, what
> about the piety ability? Wouldn't the goddess tend to bless the
birth more
> for a devout woman? Or should the effect be more discreet than that?

A devout woman would have a closer relationship to her goddess/great spirit/saint. Of course you could use Piety if you choose but I see that as a personality trait seperate from the relationship to the diety - if a person converted to a different god they may well still be pious but would be starting again from scratch in building a relationship to the new deity.

--
Nic