RE: Re: Religion and Childbirth

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:23:20 +0100

> >FWIW, ST tells us that "Vinga.... is present at difficult
> childbirths."

> >Not much of a link, but if you want it, it's there.
>
> Oh, fer crying out loud...how about Babeester Gor? Does she
> have anything to do with childbirth?

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but she used to be the patron of Caesarian sections. Especially DIY ones.... :( Initiates don't have children themselves, but a bit of surgery (hit mother with axe) would seem possible. Though now Babs has split into several deities whose extra names I forget, maybe it's one of them.

> Aren't there any female deities that don't have anything
> to do with childbirth?

Erm.... Voria? Gorgorma? Yelorna? Maran Gor, at a guess? Asrelia? TKT?

> Heck, for purposes of my example, can't women be members of
> male cults? That is can a female be a member of the Destor cult?

Vinga Destor - yes. Orlanth sub-cult. Vingans can get all of them.

> For my question, then, would
> this mean rejecting her womanhood, and expecting never to
> have children?

Nope. For that, you want the Red Woman sub-cult of Vinga. The Avenger. Page 176. Explicitly gives up her fertility. And once they've taken the Red Vows, they can never regain it.

Or you could have a female Humakti? Though even then, you'd need to pick the Bare Blades philosophy (p106).