Re: re: Defaults and who has em

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:03:08 -0700

> As far as I remember, the answer suggested was to set such "automatic
> success" abilities to 21. Not 1W, 21. I forget quite why.

Actually, I believe I suggested 0W2. "0" because you don't normally roll it; two masteries to give a "never fail" result. As I remember, we then descended into a typical HQ-rules muddle, much like this thread (and the Childbirth one) has done.

> > I think every keyword has a bunch of skills that we just don't usually
> > bother to mention. This would be one of them, under "female human", to
> > be mentioned only if it differs from the norm. "Infertile 17"?

Keywords are meant to be shortcuts. Yes, there are things that we don't think of - a farmer's "Ignore smell of lifestock poop", or a warrior's or healer's "Not squeamish at the sight of blood". They are a catch-all for "everything you think a person of this [keyword] should be able to do". So Human Male includes "Grow beard", "testostrone poisoning", "No Pain no Gain", etc. A woman's includes "Give Birth", "get meunstral cramps", and "automatically cause men to notice her when she walks by without a top on" (this one is culture specific, of course).

> > I'd quite like to see some guidance on this sort of thing myself. For
> > instance, I believe all (most) humans have a "fear heights" Flaw, but at
> > what level? If it becomes relevant, we need to know, and to have it
> > consistent.

Default is 6 if something is used as a resisting ability, so make it 6. If "Fear Heights" is resisted with another default ability, then you can control your fear 50% of the time. If it is resisted with something written on your sheet ("brave"), then it's resisted at whatever that rating is (less any mods the narrator might assign). If you're *really* afraid of heights, then you write it on your sheet and give it a rating.

RR
- Richelieu