Re: benchmarks

From: Richard Addy <rmaddy_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:49:55 -0400

On 24 May 00, at 10:14, KYER, JEFFREY wrote:

> Oh dear. Keep the ranting down, svp?

hmm, and here I thought, as far as rants went, I was being fairly conservative...

> But I can only reply "Why should it?" Hero Wars is a different game
> with a much different focus and gaming enviroment. (Mind you, I'm a
> bit annoyed with backwards compatibility by nature, what with
> upgrading computer software for a living.)
>
> But its a completely different game set in the same gameworld. Its
> NOT RQ IV. It is what it is...

It is RQ IV in the sense that it's set in the same world as RQ 1,2 (and most of RQ 3). It is not RQ IV in the sense that the mechanics emphasis different elements than the mechanics of previous editions.

I mean, there's no effort being made to divorce the mechanics from the setting - everything in the Narrators/players books assumes that the game will be set in Glorantha. A good thing, I think. But a natural result of this approach is to want to update previous editions' material into HW.

> I don't mind the lack of compatibility, though I have had to struggle
> with it. Any narrator who feels a need to re-use material can
> probably work out something -- and my experiences in converting old
> material at the behest of Issaries Inc. is that a lot of the concepts
> do not map over well at all. The game focuses on much different
> aspects of life than RuneQuest (but then I've always hated the 'bean
> counter' aspects of RQ)

Buuut - to me, the game isn't being set up for someone unfamiliar with Glorantha - there's just not enough setting information in the main books for a total newbie to get a campaign underway (I know, I know - there are space issues. The setting books are coming out. This isn't a criticism - it's a statement of how I perceive the current status of game)

So, I think a lot of folks who are picking up the game do have previous material they'd probably want to use, and given that, why make each and every one of them come up with something on their own? (In other words, at some point, as a narrator, I have to wonder, if I'm going to have to do so much work by myself to come up with adaptions, etc, why am I not using Fudge or Gurps?)

I'm not talking about hard and fast rules - a chapter of guidelines would have been helpful. VERY helpful. It also serves as an acknowledgement that there is a large body of work out there

> Best to work with whole cloth.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth - my initial impression is that Issaries is ignoring, more or less, a valuable resource.

Look at the discussion of material on Prax - it's not on the current product schedule, I think in large part because there's been a lot of previous material published on it. So why not make it a bit easier to use what's already out there?

Richard