Re: Mastery notation -- from the Continuum list, was: MG's Thoughts on Continuum 2004

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:31:41 -0000

Until I saw this written out, I would totally have agreed that this made sense. But seeing 2M04 like that, I find it hard to visually quickly pull ou the number that I have to roll against. As a general rule, having dealt with WAY more document and part numbering systems than I've wanted to over the years, I'd saying leading zeroes are messy. Most people haven't trained their eyes to easily read numbers with leading zeroes, so at first glance the useful part of the number doesn't jump out.

Actually, I kind of like having the number that you role against being the first part that you see. But if you want to make the notation a little more intuitive, you could try something like:

17+M 9+2M

Or going with the reversal of mastery and target:

M+17 or 2M+9

The plus sign gives a nice visual break, and most people are good at picking numbers out from between the standard arithmetic operators.

Mind you, I think this is the least of your worries with the new book.....have fun!

--Bryan