Re: How to do a "God-child"

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:29:07 -0000

I've forgotten the details of the demi-god rules Roderick alluded to, and don't have a copy to hand. I'm not sure the following thoughts really help Paul's particular requirements, nor how you'd express it in 100 words, but here are a few thoughts...
  1. The "Extra Affinites" route. Take "n" affinities from the "divine" parents to represent the "divine heritage". The character gets these affinities regardless of what dieties they subsequently initiate to (so if Paul took "Storm", "Balance" and "Otherworld" and initiated to an Orlanth Thunderous cult he would keep "Balance" and "Otherworld". If he subsequently changed to a less stormy subcult (Books not to hand to check) he would keep "Storm" where a "normal" character would swap it for the new affinities. You'd need to keep an eye out for the dodgy combinations of course (someone with a Combat affinity ought not be able to join Chalana Arroy, of course but what about someone with Storm joining Humakt?, Fire joining Yelmalio?)
  2. The "Active Feats" route. Take "n" "standalone" feats that could be learned from the "divine" parents. These can be improved normally, but do not form part of any affinities. You may allow the character to take additional feats from the same affinities (but not the affinites themselves unless they initiate to the parent) as play progresses to represent the "divine" power growing, or manifesting itself more clearly.

As far as becoming an initiate or devotee (or even disciple) I think it depends on where you envisage ending up - Assuming that becoming sort of god is the aim, a character like this who becomes a devotee of one or other of his parents will likely end up as a Hero Cult of that parent, possibly offering a feat or affinity from the other parent. A disciple will most likely be remembered as a (new) aspect of the parent god.

Of course one could look at Sartar or Pavis for examples...